SYNTHESIS OF NOVEL 1,2-DIOL CONTAINING AZO DYES FOR POLYMERIC SUBSTRATES
- Azo chromophore,
- Hydrogen bond,
- Nylon 66
Copyright (c) 2017 Hamdullah Khadim Sheikh, Mehdi Hassan Kazmi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Two novel 1,2-diol containing azo dyes have been synthesized for application on polymeric textile substrates. We used multistep synthesis scheme which involved selectively bonding azo chromophore with glycerol moiety such that only one alcohol out of the three gets bonded to the chromophore while rest two remain unchanged. The 1,2-diol moiety, common in both dyes, is responsible for forming hydrogen bonds with polar sites on a polymeric substrate. The molecular structure of the final molecule and synthesized intermediates were elucidated by UV/Vis, FT-IR, MS (EI, ESI, and CI) and 1H-NMR spectroscopic techniques.
Dyes were applied to polyester and nylon 66 fabrics as disperse dyes by exhaust dyeing method and furnished good to excellent fastness properties on both of them.
- K. Suganuma, Text. Res. J., 49, 536–539 (1979).
- S. Ugbolue, Polyolefin Fibers, Woodhead Pub., Cambridge, 2009; pp. 376.
- H. S. Bhatti, S. Seshadri, Color. Technol., 120, 151–155 (2004).
- A. Z. Sayed, M. S. Aboul-Fetouh, H. S. Nassar, J. Mol. Struct., 1010, 146–151 (2012).
- T. A. Khattab, K. M. Haggag, M. H. Elnagdi, A. A. Abdelrahman, S. A. Aly, Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem., 642, 766–772 (2016).
- F. Karci, F. Karci, A. Demircali, M. Yamac, J. Mol. Liq., 187, 302-308 (2013).
- R. Christie, Color Chemistry, 2nd ed., Royal Society of Chemistry, London, 2014; pp.186.
- W.H. Brown, Organic Chemistry, 6th ed., Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning, Belmont, 2012; pp. 953.
- A. Bafana, S.S. Devi, T. Chakrabarti, Environ. Rev.,19, 350–371 (2011).
- L. Chrysler, Methods of Test for Color Fastness of Textiles and Leather,7th ed., Bradford, London, 1990; pp. 89-94.
- N. Suriyaprapadilok, B. Kitiyanan, Energy Procedia, 9, 63-69, (2011).
- S. Verma, R. Ghorpade, A. Pratap, M. Kaushik, Tetrahedron Lett., 53, 2373-2376, (2012).
- D. Klemm, T. Heinze, Polysaccharides II, Springer, Berlin, 2006; pp. 238.
- C. Carola, F. Pfluecker, H. Buchholz, H. Driller, H. Neunhoeffer, E. Blyumin, US20080038213 A1, (2008).
- C. Yuen, Res. J. Text. Apparel, 9, 26-38, (2005).
- T. Shah, R. Shiny, R. Dixit, B. Dixit, J. Saudi Chem. Soc.,18, 985-992, (2014).
- K. Singh, S. Singh, A. Mahajan, J. Taylor, Color. Technol., 119, 198-204, (2003).